Friday 21 March 2014

Funny People - Rodney Dangerfield

Rodney Dangerfield

He loved crowds and got no respect, but became the king of comedy. Rodney Dangerfield started off in the business under the name "Jack Roy" and failed to breakthrough for many years, failing to perform an act that audiences responded to. He adopted the name "Rodney Dangerfield" in the 1960's and revived his career with a new stage persona. His career sky-rocketed in the 1980's after his comedy album, No Respect, won a Grammy Award and he played memorable roles in films including Caddyshack, Easy Money and Back to School. Perhaps his greatest achievement was his comedy club Dangerfield's. He would perform shows there and hosted HBO comedy specials for up-and-coming and headline comedians including Jerry Seinfeld, Jim Carrey, Andrew Dice Clay, Dom Irrera, Sam Kinison, Bill Hicks and Roseanne Barr.

Memorable quotes / jokes

"In Vegas you gotta go broke, they got slot machines all over, even in supermarkets. I bought a dozen eggs it cost me $442."

"My wife, she never went for me. The first time I called her up she told me to come on over there's nobody home. I went over there was nobody home."

"I was poor. Once on my birthday my old man showed me a picture of a cake."

No comments:

Post a Comment